Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Planning Step 3: Tickets

In one of my very first posts, I gave you the skinny on the different ticket options available. (If you need a refresher, check out the "That's the Ticket" post.) There are three options to choose from. You can add all of them, just one or two, or none to your base ticket.
This time the only option we'll be adding is the Park Hopper option. We're going in February, so it will be much too cold to visit the water parks (adios Water Parks & More option!); and since we're really trying to save on this trip, we won't be needing the No Expiration option either.
I think I've mentioned that my favorite option is the Park Hopper. I use it every time I visit the parks
. This option gives me the freedom to jump around to multiple theme parks in the same day, so that I can see what I want to see when I want to see it. It helps add great flexibility to my vacation schedule. Let me give you one example.

Since this is Kayla and Ashley's first visit, the first thing I really want them to experience is that walk down Main St. at the Magic Kingdom. I can't tell you how excited I am to see their faces when they see Cinderella Castle for the very first time. There's just something about that walk that is profoundly magical, and I can't think of a better way to start off our Disney adventure.
But I've got a plan, and you can't see Illuminations fireworks at Magic Kingdom.
So after that inaugural walk, we'll hit a couple of classic attractions (Peter Pan!!) and then catch the monorail to Epcot. We'll spend the rest of the afternoon and evening enjoying the attractions there, and then end our first day with the brilliant Illuminations of Earth firework show. Without the Park Hopper, we would have to stay at Magic Kingdom for the rest of the day, or would have to go straight to Epcot to begin with. And another great plus: if at lunch time, we decide we need a break, we can head back to the hotel, take a nap and then head right back to Epcot without having to buy another ticket. It's like having a skeleton key that unlocks all the doors to all the parks any time you want :).


~*What do you do with that half-day at Disney?*~
This is a question that's crept up on more than a few of our vacations. From where we live, Disney World is about a 9 or 10-hour drive, depending on traffic. Usually we leave very early in the morning, around 2 or 3 a.m. to avoid rush-hour in Atlanta. Traffic is almost never an issue that way, but it does give us a somewhat annoying arrival time, around mid-afternoon. So, do you spend the full price of admission just to enjoy a few short hours at the parks?
As hard as it is for me to step on Disney property and not race to the Magic Kingdom, I have to say I can't validate paying full price for less than half the time. A few times in the past, we have paid for that extra ticket day, but not anymore. Why pay extra when there's plenty to do at Disney that doesn't require theme park admission! Case in point: Downtown Disney.
If our travel schedule causes us to arrive with only a half-day for our first day of vacation, we get settled into our hotel room, then head to the Downtown Disney area. There's plenty to do there for the rest of the evening. You can go shopping, try out some great restaurants, do a little dancing, catch a movie or a show. If you're tired from traveling, end the night early and rest up for a full day in the parks.
Another way to avoid unused park hours is to simply adjust your travel schedule. For our next trip, we're planning on leaving a few hours earlier than normal so we'll arrive mid-morning. That way, we'll still have plenty of time to enjoy the parks that day. 

Now we're getting to the fun stuff! It's time to start planning out our days :). See ya real soon!


Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment