Monday, October 3, 2011

Boo to you!

Hey gang! I know, I know, I've been slacking again :(. It seems that time is just never on my side lately. But even if I don't post, you know I've always got WDW on the brain :) LOL. 
Anyway, it's finally October! This past Saturday, Oct. 1, Walt Disney World celebrated its 40th birthday. Pretty awesome, huh? I've experienced the parks during every season, but the Fall is definitely my favorite! Maybe it's because the weather is so amazing during this time of year, or because the crowds are lighter than in the summer, or maybe it's just that Disney seems to love Fall and Halloween as much as I do. No matter how you slice it, Disney in October rocks!

 Disney only decorates for two holidays: Christmas and Halloween. During the first week of September, the Magic Kingdom transforms into a celebration of oranges, reds and golds. There are giant Mickey ear-shaped pumpkins, scarecrows, colorful leaf garlands and wreaths, and the shop windows on Main Street all hold fascinating Halloween displays to stop and admire. On certain nights, the park gets even more into the season with Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. 
On these nights in September and October, you can show off your costume and go trick-or-treating all over the park (and I don't mean just kids. Adults too!). There's also a special Halloween parade called "Boo To You" and a special Hallo-wishes fireworks show. All your favorite characters (some of them never seen during normal park hours) will also be decked out in their Halloween costumes and ready to meet and greet. Here's a little peek at the fun at MNSSHP:

Now here's the downside. The Halloween party requires a separate ticket. Your regular admission to the Magic Kingdom will not let you stay for the party after closing time. Likewise, if you have a party ticket, you can't get into the Magic Kingdom for the whole day on that same ticket. 
On party nights, the park closes at 7 p.m. At that time anyone without a ticket for the party has to leave the park. Party-goers will be given wristbands that show you've paid the extra fee. If you've bought a party ticket, but don't have a regular Magic Kingdom ticket, you can usually get into the park about two or three hours before the party starts.
Now I know what your asking, "So just how much does this cost?" Well, it depends on when you go. If you go to a party in September it's much cheaper (around $54 per person for ages 10 and up). Most October parties cost about $60 per person, but Halloween night is the most expensive at $68 per person. These prices are if you buy the tickets in advance. If you purchase them the day of, they cost a few dollars more. 
Now the next question, of course, "Is it worth it?" Again, it depends. For me, definitely. Halloween is my favorite holiday and the extra magical touch that Disney gives it makes worth every bit of the $60 I'd pay for my ticket. I'd also say it's worth it if you have kids.
One night while we were on our honeymoon in Oct. 2009, we were on the monorail to the Magic Kingdom with a little girl and her parents. She was all dressed up in her Sleeping Beauty costume and gave my husband and I a sweet "Congratulations" when she saw our "Just Married" badges. I asked her if she was going to the party, and she gave me an excited "Yes!" When we all got off the monorail, she grabbed each of her parents' hands and pulled them toward the entrance with a huge smile. I told Brandon right then that we were coming back and bringing our kids to Mickey's Halloween Party.

Did I mention there's free candy??? :)

Happy Haunting!
Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment