Friday, March 25, 2011

Attractions: Kilimanjaro Safaris


Kilimanjaro Safaris is one of the Animal Kingdom's top 3 attractions. It's as close as you can get to a real African safari without ever leaving the good ole USA, and the experience is different every time you ride it.

Attraction Quick Facts:
  • The best time to ride is either first thing in the morning, or during late afternoon before the attraction closes. These are the times when the animals are most active, so you'll have more chances to see a variety of animals and get great photographs.
  • FastPass is available.
  • It's located in the Africa area of the park.
  • The ride is a little bumpy, going over rocky terrain, across rivers and rickety bridges. But it won't jar your teeth or anything.
  • Stroller parking is available about halfway down the waiting line.
  • This ride is great for all ages and is both great fun and educational at the same time.
You'll hop aboard a rugged, open-air 4-wheel drive bus. Each bus is driven by a safari guide. (Your guide will point out the different animals to you and tell you a little about each one.)

*Imagination Photog Photo Tip! To get the best shots, sit on the end of the bench. I personally prefer to be the first one on my row so I have an unobstructed view of the left side of the bus. It seems like that side has the best views of most of the animals.

Your journey starts off with a little drive through a forest area where you can see animals like bongos, okapi, black rhinos, and a variety of birds. When you come to the first river crossing keep an eye out for hippos, pelicans, and hungry crocodiles.
From the forest you'll head out into the savanna. This is my favorite part of the entire ride, and it's where the majority of the animals are. You can see giraffes, zebras, antelope, rhinos, cheetahs, warthogs, wildebeests, lions, and more.

*Imagination Photog Photo Tip! If you have a camera with changeable lenses, you'll definitely want to use the one with the longest zoom, like a telephoto lens. Some animals will be right next to the bus, but others will be farther away. You'll need to zoom in to get the perfect shot.

Next, you'll head into elephant country. You'll also see colonies of monkeys and the newest baby elephants in the herd. And don't forget to keep an eye out for poachers!

My whole family and I really love this ride. It's one of those that we always go on at least twice when we visit. Every time we see something different and learn something new. The first time I rode was in May of 1999. I was 11 and The Lion King was my favorite movie at the time. I was so excited when we crossed into the savanna and I got to see real lions lounging on their very own "Pride Rock." I really felt like I had been to Africa and back in that one afternoon.
This ride is also a photographer's dream. I have a constant smile on my face snapping away at all the gorgeous animals and landscapes. And I always come back with great images. Here's a slide show of a few of my favorites.

Have a great safari adventure of your own!

Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment